Everything You Need to Know About the New 2018 Tax Form.

Nov 17, 2018 | IRS - Internal Revenue Service, Uncategorized, US Tax Return 1040 / 1040NR | 2 comments

Failing to file will cost you more than failing to pay your taxes.

You should to file your return on time, even if you do not owe anything to the IRS. The penalty for failing to file is significantly more than the penalty for failing to pay. The failure-to-file penalty is equal to 5 percent of the unpaid tax and can be assessed for up to five months. Conversely, the failure-to-pay penalty is 0.5 percent of the tax due and is assessed monthly. If you file taxes in Spain, due to the nondouble taxation treaty you will not own anything to the IRS, so the penalties are cero.

Refunds are forfeited after three years. Some people don’t bother filing their federal return because they are short on time and know the government owes them money. While there is no failure-to-file penalty on returns that are due a refund, procrastinating can still cost you. If you wait too long, you won’t be able to claim the refund at all. “Once you get three years out, you’re not entitled to it anymore.”

Recent tax changes aren’t permanent. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act 2017 was passed with much fanfare last year and makes significant changes to the tax code starting with the 2018 tax year. It creates new tax brackets and increases the child tax credit and standard deductions, while eliminating personal exemptions.

You may not need to itemize your deductions. Taxpayers of all filing statuses will see their standard deductions nearly double when they file returns next year, thanks to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. The law increases the standard deduction for married couples filing jointly from $12,700 to $24,000. For single taxpayers, the deduction will increase from $6,350 to $12,000. Heads of households will see their deduction increase from $9,350 in 2017 to $18,000 in 2018.
There will be no need to track medical bills or tally receipts from unreimbursed business expenses since the likelihood of exceeding the standard deduction will be low for many families.

Itemized deductions aren’t the only way to get a tax break on charitable gifts. One perk of charitable giving has been the ability to write off eligible donations on itemized deductions. With the increased standard deduction, that may no longer be possible for many taxpayers. People can still get a tax break for charitable contributions through. One way is for retirees to direct a portion of their required minimum distribution, known as an RMD, to a nonprofit organization. When seniors turn age 70 ½, they are required to take an RMD from traditional IRA and 401(k) accounts, even if they don’t need the money. This money is taxable, and the added income may push a retiree into a higher tax bracket. To avoid this problem, you can give a portion of your required minimum distribution to charity and then you aren’t taxed on that amount. The money must go directly from your retirement account to the charity for this strategy to work. Donating stock is another way to minimize taxes with a gift to charity. The giver avoids capital gains tax on the appreciated value of the stock while a tax-exempt nonprofit can sell equities without having to foot a tax bill.

All your income is taxable. People should know that all the money they receive throughout the year is taxable. Financial gifts of up to $15,000, life insurance proceeds and inherited money are all examples of money not subject to federal income tax.

There are plenty of ways to reduce your taxable income this year. Save your money strategically, and you may be able to avoid paying taxes on a significant portion of your income. With the retirement accounts employees can deduct up to $18,500 deposited in a traditional 401(k) account in 2018. Those age 50 and older can deduct an additional $6,000 in catch-up contributions. Those without an employer-sponsored retirement plan can deduct $5,500 in contributions made to a traditional IRA, with an additional $1,000 in catch-up contributions allowed for those age 50 and older. Taxpayers who have a qualified high-deductible health insurance plan can open a health savings account and receive a deduction for money deposited there. Those with an individual health plan are eligible to make up to $3,450 in deductible donations in 2018 while people with a family health plan can deduct up to $6,900 placed in an HSA this year. Another way to reduce taxes is with a 529 college savings plan. While contributions aren’t eligible for a federal tax deduction, they may be deductible on some state tax forms.

Taxes should be part of every retirement planning discussion. Part of planning for retirement should be planning for taxes. Some money, such as funds from traditional retirement accounts, is taxable in retirement. However, cash from Roth accounts can be withdrawn tax-free. Meanwhile, Social Security benefits can be partially taxed once an individual reach $25,000 in combined income or a couple has $32,000 in combined income.

Tax professionals can help navigate complex situations. Don’t leave money on the table. Make sure you’ve claimed all possible deductions by using a CPA or professional tax preparer. This may be especially important for those with investments or business owners.

If you need a tax prepare you can rely on, do not hesitate to call us: +34 913 623 710 info@ustaxconsultans.net


  1. Daniel

    Good morning. Your post mentions “If you file taxes in Spain, due to the nondouble taxation treaty you will not own anything to the IRS, so the penalties are cero.” (1) Does this mean a US citizen is not obligated to file US foreign tax return, as well as a Spanish return? (2) Is a US citizen with foreign bank accounts still obligated to inform US IRS on bank accounts? Thank you.

    • Antonio Rodriguez

      Even if you do not owe anything to the IRS, you must file the return (Form 1040); and include the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) with the taxes paid in Spain, which of course you are obligated to file if you are Tax Resident of Spain. FBARs (FinCEN 114) has nothing to do with tax returns… It is compulsory to file every year since 1970, reporting the maximum balances of all your financial accounts (owe by you, share with someone else and those you have signature authority)
      You are supposed to file the US Return and the FBAR on time, June 15th for fiscal residents in Spain, even if filling late will not have penalties. Remember that filing late a Spanish Return will always have a penalty.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *